Kuih Ketayap or Sweet Coconut Pancake is a rolled crepe flavoured with grated coconut steeped in palm sugar. Pandan leaf is the core ingredient of this kuih ketayap.
- 10 pandan leaves(Should you have trouble finding pandan leaves you may substitute it with canned pandan juice, or a few drops of pandan concentrate).
- 300ml water
- 200g plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 125 ml coconut milk
- pinch of salt
Grated Coconut Filling
- 200g grated fresh coconut
- 200g chopped gula melaka /dark brown palm sugar
- 100ml water
- 1 pandan leaves, tied in a knot
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- Combine palm sugar, water and pandan leaves in a saucepan, and simmer until sugar is dissolved. Discard pandan leaves.
- Add grated coconut and pinch of salt and simmer until slightly dry. Add cornstarch to thicken. Allow to cool.
Make the pancake batter
- Sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Add the egg to the measuring jug containing the pandan juice, and beat.
- Then add the coconut milk and stir.
- Whisk the wet ingredients gradually into the dry to make a smooth batter.
Fry the pancakes
- Heat up a non-stick pancake pan over a low flame and grease with oil for the first pancake.
- Using a ladle, ladle the batter just off centre in the pan, swirl to coat base to form a thin and even pancake. When the batter sets and or the edges are turning golden brown, flip and cook for a further 10 seconds.
- Remove the crepe from the pan to a plate. Repeat making more until batter is all used.
- To assemble, put a spoonful of coconut filling on each crepe, fold in the sides and roll up like a spring roll.
My kids all time favourite snack. Enjoy!!!!