Tofu / BeanCurd, prepared by coagulating soy milk, then pressing the resulting curds into solid white blocks. There are different types of tofu, some area soft, silky, soft, firm or extra firm. It has a mild flavour, and it can be used in sweet and savoury dishes. It is often seasoned or marinated to match the platter and its flavour. I tried savoury tofu puttu, its a great way to substitue for meat and fish.
- 250 g tofu(BeanCurd)
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1/2 inch piece ginger
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 5 cloves garlic
- 3 green chillies, chopped
- 1 dry red chilli, chopped
- 1 onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 3 tbsp coriander leaves
- Flake the Tofu with a fork and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add in mustard seeds. Let the mustard seeds crackle. Add in the curry leaves, cumin seeds, ginger and garlic, green chillies and dry red chilli. Saute for a minute.
- Next add in the chopped onions and saute for 3 minutes on a medium flame till the onions are soft.
- Add in the turmeric powder and pepper powder. Saute for a minute.
- Now add in the tofu flakes, coriander leaves and salt. Mix it well to combine. Let the tofu slowly heat up in the pan so the spices adhere better. Stir gently, cover with a lid and let it cook at medium flame for 8 to 10 minutes, stir occasionally. Check for seasoning.
- Tofu puttu is ready. Serve with rice and curry.